Saturday, May 15, 2010

heading home tomorrow

OK - so we had a long, long day of waiting. Finally had an ultrasound this evening. It took quite awhile as they were monitoring for breathing practice and movement etc. When I asked my smiley and giggly questions to see that the babies are ok, I was sort of ignored. Huh. And a few minutes later the night nurse came in with an evening dose of IV antibiotics. So - I knew we were probably staying. But THEN, the nurse said we would need a repeat ultrasound at midnight as they didn't see breathing or diaphragm movement on two babies. And although it was a slight after comment...the only thing I heard was that this is the first sign of distress and that this would indicate a decision would need to be made about delivering the babies. AHHHHH!!!! So sheer panic set in. Peter and his parents tried to calm me and help me understand that the tech just hadn't done the test right. BUT STILL!

So thankfully, the residents stepped in and pushed to have the repeat ultrasound immediately. And guess what? All is well with the world again. The babies were all moving and grooving and practice breathing. Tyler and Thomas both had the hiccups. And I was able to get a printed picture of Thomas with his very chubby cheeks, huge nostrils from his mommy and beautiful lips!! It was a sweet surprise and the babies are doing wonderful. They scored 8 out of 8, meaning no distress!!

We had the option to go home tonight. But daddy and I are very neurotic and worried and we opted to stsy tonight. They will check my cervix in the morning and likely send me home to strict bedrest. Only up to the bathroom and a daily shower if necessary. Peter would be much more comfortable with me here on a monitor given how quickly we went into labor the other night. BUT, I AM starting to warm up to the idea of a little more peace and comfort in my bed with my lovely cat.

This has been an intense few days and we appreciate all of your comments, emails, support and prayers. We are setting a first goal to make it to my nephew Conor's birthday this week. And then 32 weeks. So - keep sending those good vibes and prayers for big healthy preemies!!

3 comments:

jenicini said...

Big sigh of relief! I'm hoping those little ones are growing like weeds!

Anonymous said...

Ann- we are so glad to hear everything is ok! thinking of you!
Judy & Adam

X.Christensen said...

.deep breath. Holy hell, I've been worried about you guys. Glad you're doing better and the babies are okay. Still sending prayers.

HUGS.

Followers