Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I am suddenly clueless!

It recently came to my attention that I will need to find a pediatric doctor for these kiddos. And from my friendly neighborhood triplet mom, I was advised to find a doctor that accomodates all three babies in the office at the same time. So, I narrowed my choices down to a couple of offices and called today to find out if they take new patients, and if I could bring them all in at the same time. RESISTANCE!! I don't know if the doctors themselves would consider it, but the secretaries seem to have the rule book open in front of them that clearly states only two children in an exam room at a time. So, I nicely explained a little more clearly how I would need to bring in three even if only two were being seen. And I would not be choosing their practice unless they can see them together as triplets. And they said they would ask and get back to me. Hmmm....noone got back to me. So, hopefully I will feel better today or tomorrow and march my little momminess into their offices to check them out and ask again.

The other interesting thing that I never considered... The babies will be born in a hospital in an entirely different county. The peds doctor we choose will not be able to see them up there. And both offices told me their doctors would come see the babies in the hospital (until I told them where we will deliver). So I just assume one of the bizillion neonatologists takes care of passing along info to the peds doctor when we are discharged? I guess I don't have a clue how this works.

My little 'one week at a time' bubble is about to explode as I am getting closer to the end of this pregnancy adventure and whole lot closer to actually being a mommy and making decisions for these three little monkeys! I ordered Dr Sears preemie book from Amazon today. Maybe it will get my mind geared towards the next chapter in our journey.

6 comments:

Sumer said...

When the babies leave the hospital their records should be sent (or you can have them sent if their doctor doesnt request it) to their pediatrician. I think that is how it would work seems how your doctor wont be seeing them up the hospital (that happens a lot where I live as there are so many hospitals and each doctor only has rights to so many of them).

Anonymous said...

The way it works at our hospital is the neo takes care of the babies until discharge and then you request your med recs be sent to the main ped. It's not a big deal. Don't lose sleep over it. Even if your ped DID live in the same county, they wouldn't be taking care of the babies in the NICU anyways. A neo would. Also, just a thought about the ped...when you schedule your appt, just have them block out 2 slots so they can see all 3. It's not that big of a deal as long as you aren't craming them all in 1 time slot. Seriously, the office staff doesn't get it do they? What do they expect you do? Keep one of the babies in the car? DUH! It'll work out the way it should.
Belinda

The Wheatley Family said...

So, I called back to one of the offices today and the secretary I spoke with yesterday acted like she had never spoken to me before. And she said 'well of course we treat them like triplets and will see them together'. Great! BUT, she said I just am not sure if we have room in our practice for three new patients. We are accepting new patients at this time, but I will need to get back to you tomorrow. REALLY? Weird. Whatever. I will wait and see what she says tomorrow. Their website boasts that they have free prenatal and getting to know you visits etc. So, I think I will make one of those if they 'let me in'. Ha. They are supposed to be one of the best in town and take most preemies. So - wish us luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck finding a pediatrician! I didn't realize most limited the number of siblings in a room. My OB recommended ours and we love her! Our pedi wasn't allowed at the hospital, but their records were sent to her immediately upon discharge and they also gave us a copy of their records. We absolutely loved the neonatologist at the hospital. We're actually going to see him in two weeks at our NICU reunion!

Kim said...

Stopping by from Mulitples & More. I had issues finding a pediatrician as well - when they were initially born, and then recently when we moved from MA to MI. The good news, I have been thrilled with both pediatric practices (and if you aren't thrilled when the babies are born, you can always find someone new then).
Our experience (and my understanding is that this is pretty common) was that pediatricians aren't allowed in the NICU. The NICU team (because they do it all the time) was (and will be for you) awesome at relaying all the information. Ours called our pedi, faxed him all the records, and sent a copy home with me. I was actually able to bring a copy of the NICU records to our new Pedi (which she said was helpful as they just turned a year). You will be amazed at how smooth the transition goes :)
Congratulations!

Our life in pictures said...

I agree with everyone else...don't worry about it....Adi saw one Pedi at the hospital, then we saw another at the clinic and then we switched her at like 3m. I just asked for her records from the clinic and took them to my new visit and we went from there! I know I only have 2, but I'm queen of one appt/see 2 kids...seems if one has sniffles they both will so may as well get them checked out...and they never say anything. It'll work out fine....no stress!

Followers